Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Daily Photo 1


After Em and I came back from working out tonight, I noticed that the sun was setting over the apartement building across our parking lot and was making an interesting silluette against the still somewhat colorful sky. I just wish I could have gotten out 10-15 minutes sooner when the color was a little better. Also, it was hard to get the proper focus on the buildings and at the same time get the color and lighting to match up to what I wanted. Not perfect, but it gets the job done.

4 comments:

Josh Schramm said...

neat picture. I like how you do this blog imbedding pictures in almost all your posts. It really makes it a bit more impressive. I need to figure out how to do that with wordpress on my blog.

Anonymous said...

not nearly as convenient as the auto features but perhaps the best approach for this shot: see if there is an auto overide where you can tell it to use an overexposure setting. it probably has one that works analogously to the old manual methods.... ie to "stop down or up a couple of clicks", or to increase the shutter speed by a couple of clicks. in the old equipment, each next setting would be roughly twice or half the exposure. if you have specific control over which method the camera uses, you choose per the tradeoff. . that is longer exposure time makes it more sensitive to blurring and motion, but wider aperature increases edge distortion and smaller aperature loses depth of field. more probably your camera offers to over or underexpose by 1 or 2 or even 3 clicks and most likely would adjust exposure time before changing aperature (guessing that it's easier technically). thus, you have to hold your hand very steady if it's much faster than 1/60th of a second.

Benjamin P Lee said...

Yeah, I know. I thought through most of that while I was taking the picture, but I only had a small window before the color faded from the sky and I had to run out to the car to get the tripod. When I went out there it was already too dark to do anything by hand.

My camera (your's too) has all of the manual settings ... even if they aren't the easiest to setup quickly.

Anonymous said...

yeah I haven't spent enough time with our (= your mom's) camera to know its controls yet.

I did see though that I said the aperature comment backwards.

Small aperature = large f stop = better depth of field

large aperature = small f stop = less depth of field

I'll have to get out your mom's manual and check it out. You've done some amazing things already with yours.