Quick Hits
- Free hot chocolate and amaretto flavored creamer is nice to have at work
- I saw something about Terry Pratchett the other day. I should read some of his stuff again. It was always entertaining.
- I found a promising free photo editor to add GPS data to photos: PhotoGPSEditor. Haven't downloaded it yet, but I intend to. Now if I could just find a nice batch photo editor. It would help with making web versions of photos and my testing of my mosaic project.
- I got the source code for my mosaic project program from the office today, so I will be working on that again starting this weekend.
- I want to find a decent Visio alternative for Mac that is free. Anyone have any suggestions?
- Evidently, COMMAND+F5 on a Mac turns on a type of text-to-voice utility. I was just trying to force FireFox to reload a page. Took me a good 10 minutes to figure out how to turn it off. Finally I found a Mac Help page when I searched for "voice" that was titled: My computer is speaking and a black box appears on the screen. Exactly what I wanted ;)
- I ate lunch today at a place called Izzy's. It is a small chain with restaurants around the Cinci area known for their corned beef. It was OH so tasty. I got a Izzy's Combo which consisted of corned beef, pastrami, and cheese on an onion roll w/ a very large potato pancake and sauerkraut. mmmmmmm :)
- Yesterday we took a walk while at work up to the 14th floor (top floor of our building, we are on 11). Same basic layout as our floor but smaller b/c they have an outdoor balcony w/ tables. There were also some very nice offices up there for the big wigs. Great view of downtown. The balcony was pretty cold but it will be nice to eat lunch up there when the weather gets a little bit better.
- Next week we are supposed to have several days of cold where the lows will be all in the single digits and the wind chill will be well below zero. I am ready for spring.
- A guy at work mentioned the site ChaCha.com yesterday. Evidently, you can search for stuff on it over the web, or with a guide (a "real" person who helps you find stuff on the internet and chats with you). Now, if you know me and any of the stuff me and the guys did during college, you know I was tempted to abuse this system and start up some non-traditional search chats. I have refrained for the time being, mainly b/c I was at work, but I may still have to see how far these people will go to help me find what I want. ;) I am also not completely convinced its not either a sophisticated computer program or slave labor in a third world country. Hopefully the computer program.
- Anyone know of a easy way to host a set of XML files on the net for free? Obviously I could sign up for some free hosting but that seems like overkill. This stems from my previous post about Google maps. At least if I could do this, I could keep the data separate from the blog code. I wish blogger let you upload your own pages.
- Does anyone know what non-dairy creamer is made out of???? I just thought about it and have no idea myself.

1 comment:
non-dairy:
real milk has fats, proteins, and sugars. the fats are saturated, thus bad for your heart. one of the sugars is lactose, which causes some people stomach issues. food manuf know that 'taste' is a combination of taste and texture, with texture of soft foods often dependent on how the fatty components interact with the watery components. food fats often create emulsions and boundaries that your tongue can feel, giving that creamy sensation.
instead of cream or milk, they found a substitute mixture that tastes looks and feels sort of like cream. they purify one simple kind of milk protein (casein) into it's salt form, mix it with other sugars and safer oils. most non-dairy creamers, both powder and liquid, list 'sodium caseinate' as an ingredient. newer ones have other stuff with which I am not familiar.
one of the key problems with processed foodstuffs is that the nutritious safe parts generally don't have attractive texture and taste. by adding sugars like corn syrup and dextrose and tricky combinations of fats, they can mimick the taste and feel of the things we crave. in doing so, they are putting back some calories and fat related stuff, but it is usually less unhealthy and less likely to spoil.
we should watch the ingredients and gripe when they get too bad for us. the only gripe I've ever heard about non-dairy creamer is that it's not truly 100% non-dairy because of the casein. however, I've never heard of casein causing anyone any problems.
non-researcher
Post a Comment