Friday, February 16, 2007

Mag-Games ... Making Progress

This may come as a surprise to some of you, but I have been making steady progress on my Mag-Games project since announcing it to the world. If you check out the Google code page you can see that a few things have been added to the wiki (much more to come when I have time), I have been playing around with the issue tracking which isn't quite up to date anymore, and I have been writing a fair amount of code (you can check it out via a Subversion client or view it online).

Release 1.0 (Working game engine with a fully working Seega game w/ AI) should easily be made by the end of the month in keeping with my intended 1-a-month plan. So far I have been working mainly on the game engine and laying the framework for the future games. Yesterday and today I really started working on the Seega game rules and Alex has started working on the visual interface code. The main things left are the Seega interface, a small amount of game logic, and the game loader along with writing some better tests for each portion.

I am planning on uploading a cross-platform full download with instruction, basic help, and documentation when release 1.0 is ready. If you do try and checkout the code, know that its written in Java 1.5 with most of the files needed to slide it right into Eclipse (I recommend the Subclipse plug-in if your going that route). However, I am also trying to keep a complete Ant build file up to date for anyone not wanting to use Eclipse. All of the dependencies other than the JDK 1.5 libraries should be found in the repository. As of today, there isn't much you can run ... but you can get a feel for how its structured and try and find problems with my code ;)

All in all I am really happy with how it is going. Its nice to have one of my pet projects actually getting somewhere. I encourage any and all of you who are computer-inclined to check out what I have done so far and let me know what you think. If you find some crap code, bad design, great design, or have any suggestions or question please send them my way. I would love to discuss the app's design and implementation with you. Since the overall program is decently simple with a fair bit of abstraction built in, I hope to be able to easily add on and change out parts as I have time to refine them or give them new features.

On a similar note, I haven't had time to put up and re-organize the code for my Photo Mosaic (Photessera) software, but I swear I will soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

im impressed a ben lee project actually moving along. Good job.