Friday, December 14, 2007

Links - Do Caring-Apple Penguins have C.L.U.E.?

  • I am debating this one right now for my iMac. We got it last January. Still can't decide, but I am leaning to "no" at the moment.
  • Interesting collection of linux software (Ubuntu oriented) for the designer/developer.
  • This was all over the net the other day, but is still pretty amazing how much money you can save with such a small change (given you do it a zillion times a day)
  • Jeff Atwood discusses why Anti-Virus software is flawed (and unknowingly makes a case for Virus-Fighting-Autobots)
  • I wonder if you could use some of these to put extra PC terminals around the house (kids rooms, living room, etc). Either way, its a pretty cool design.
  • Do you have a C.L.U.E.? I have heard about this before ... might look into it more before we start house shopping for real
  • This recipe might not quite up to our standards, but probably still better than the stuff in the store
  • Cool idea for trying to find a new apartment (assuming there data is up-to-date).
  • You don't need to get straight A's?? What did I work my butt off senior year for then? .... in case you were wondering, you also don't have to study 3 hours outside of class for every hour in class .... if you don't go to class, 3*0=0 :-)
  • I wish I had known about this in high school (and it was available). Maybe Jeff would have started working for them even sooner ;-)

2 comments:

Kevin Berridge said...

I think Jon Galloway won the argument with Atwood on that one: http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/archive/2007/12/13/why-codinghorror-is-horribly-wrong-about-blacklists-and-virus-scanners.aspx

I've made a case similar to Atwood's in the past, but Galloway is more realistic.

Kevin Berridge said...

I think that article is very misleading. They make it sound like 3 million gallons of gas was saved due to the reduction of left hand turns, but if you read it more closely you'll see that's actually a blanket statement for their routing software in general, "Last year, according to Heather Robinson, a U.P.S. spokeswoman, the software helped the company shave 28.5 million miles off its delivery routes..."

If anything, substituting right hand turns for left hand turns would cause them to ADD miles, not "shave" them. Unless they only favor right over left when the two options were equivalent, and what are the chances of that happening?

Anyway, it sounds bogus to me.