Friday, December 14, 2007

Pencil Productivity

I thought this was a great comic (click on it for a larger view) which got me thinking ....

Every single client I have been at has some sort of cabinets or closets for office supplies that anyone can freely get when they need something. They have contained the usual things (e.g. pads of paper in various sizes, envelopes, pens, highlighters, staples, folders, etc...). In addition to these, every single one also contained mechanical pencil lead refills. Most in various sizes. And yet, NONE have had ANY mechanical pencils. To make matters worse, a number of times I have seen packs of "normal" pencils but never a pencil sharpener.

Is there some pencil fairy wandering who lives in the enchanted cube land, flying around each night after everyone goes home stealing pencils which he/she uses for food? Are there little people living in the walls who burn them for heat? Why are there never any pencils?

I don't need or want pencils very often, but with me posting the cryptogram puzzle the other day, I wanted one so that I could try a few things without having to scratch everything out. I had to go without. :-(

................

Honestly, this hasn't been my most productive week (if you couldn't guess from this post). Monday and Tuesday were spent working on/thinking about the SCEA exam. Thursday morning was taken up by part III of the exam and a lunch meeting. Today I find out that the client is hosting a large Holiday lunch for everyone (including contractors ... chicken marsala, salad, soda, cookies, side ...) and that employees have been given the afternoon off (assuming manager approval). Good thing I am ahead of schedule on my work :)

No comments: