Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"en fuego"

I would like to think I was "en fuego" in my Promotiono Review Board meeting this afternoon, but we will have to wait and see about that (official announcements coming in the next week or so, but I thought it went really well).

...

In a much less figurative sense and more of a "holy crap the apartment is going to burn down" kind of way .... last night Em and I had a minor kitchen fire. Everyone is ok, so don't worry. From the experience I have come up with two good life lessons:

1) If you are going to put something in the oven that could at some point melt or burn, your responsible for making sure it doesn't

2) If you turn on the oven, your responsible for anything is was already in it, put into it, or maybe put in it in the future so long as it is hot.


The night before last I put a plate (happened to be plastic) in the oven with several pieces of bread on it so that the bread would dry out by the next day so that I could make apple-bread-pudding last night. I then forgot about the bread (BROKE RULE #1).

Last night Em was making dinner and turned on the oven to preheat so that she could make bisquits and didn't think to check to see if anything was in there (BROKE RULE #2).

We were equally at fault with regard to the events that transpired .... several minutes into preheating Em noticed a horrible smell coming from the oven and opened it to find a small fire in the bottom of the oven (coming from the pool of now molten plate) and a cloud of fumes. She yelled for me and I ran in, grabbed our fire extinguisher (EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE ONE) and put it out. We turned off everything, turned on every fan/vent we could find and went out onto our deck to wait out the fumes and cloud of fire extinguisher dust. Fun.

The rest of the night involved cleaning up the fire extinguisher dust from everything, letting the apartment air out and trying to peel/scrape/pull/tear/etc the now hard again plastic from the oven. As you can see from the picture above ... it was quite the abstract art piece. The bread got slightly toasted and bonded along with the paper towel to the plate and the rack.

...

Other than battling fires and preparing for my review things have been pretty normal around here. Last weekend Em and I spent Friday helping her grandparents move and unpack things at their new place.


Saturday we went to an area farm to pick apples, but after I was laughed at by a worker for suggesting that apples were still in season, we ended up picking a great pumpkin instead and picked up several nice apples that were destined for the apple-bread-pudding but which will now be eaten by themselves.

On our way home we drove through Colinsville and saw the worlds larget Catsup bottle. It made me hungry for some fries! (Its a water tower made by the catsup company)


Sunday we went out to Bable state park and hiked a few miles on its trails which was fun and relaxing.

4 comments:

matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
matt said...

at least it wasn't this

Anonymous said...

i was thinking the exact same thing kooz. I just didnt know where to find the article.

Nice job Ben. I will admit it made for a cool picture though.

Jeff Scudder said...

Wow! Bummer about the fire but it did look quite interesting. Those sound like rules worth taping to our fridge.