When your blog ... (Work)
... no longer shows up in your history ... you need to post. In an attempt to NOT have just one really long "month+ recap" post, I am going to do individual posts for various topics and whats been going on in my life. That way, no post seems too big to do and I will actually post them. Pictures to follow.
Work
[for info related to Em, see the end of the article]
To go along with our picnice, this week is Sogeti's Employee Appreciation Week. I stil haven't figure out what exactly that means but we have several national phone calls and the promise of fun and excitement ;-)
Some interesting stuff has been going on with work (Sogeti and my client). Over the past few weeks I helped out with our office's first try at the wonderful world of college career fairs at SLU. It was a lot of fun, just like the ones at UD, even if the computer related programs there are pretty small. I wasn't able to make it to one in Rolla the next week but our recruiter said it was very good.
Also, a few weekend ago I was lucky enough to attend the No Fluff Just Stuff conference here in town. Basically its a small traveling conference devoted to Java and Open Source technologies with an emphasis on being drivin by pasionate individuals and not corporate sponsors. I was able to go last year on Sark's dime and with a little encouragement to Sogeti, got to spend F/Sat/Sun listening to guys from around the country talk about what they love. Without delving into too much detail, I saw some great talks on Java Memory managment, the Eclipse Rick Client Platform, Java Security frameworks and contributing to Open Source projects. Yeah I am a huge nerd and gave up 24+ hours of my life spread over a weekend to my nerdly-persuits. But it was worth it. :-)
Helping out with the fair and going to NFJS couldn't have come at a better time b/c our annual reviews are starting now. I had to turn in my review paperwork last week and have to fill out some promotion paperwork this week. A big change from what Sark did, Sogeti has a Promotion Review Board which anyone who is seeking a promotion must go before and "state their case". Its not as big of a deal as it sounds but it is definetely different than what I was planning on.
A couple things have also been going on at my client. Not long after my last posts I was finally able to move into a real cube here at work (being my first in 2.5 years of consulting). I am proud to say I have 3.5 walls now and if I turn my chair around I can see a window. :-D The other day I had my second installment of TDD/TFD classes which was a whole day of hands on examples in TDD. It was interesting (even more so in seeing some of the other developers work with IntelliJ and use shortcuts I didn't even know existed) but a bit long given how much I took away from it. Hopefully soon they will start using it on my app or I will be reassigned.
Finally, but far from least, Em started out at her new job this past week and its going well. Each night over the dinner table I try to unravvle a little bit more of the mystery that is School Counseling. So far I have been able to find out that 3 things: 1) It really takes someone who cares about kids to do, 2) There is NO WAY I could ever do what she does and 3) the fact that I work with software problems every day makes it hard to relate to your everyday office problems. I have a TON of respect for Em in making it this far and for still wanting to try and make a difference. Also, a big second paycheck is going to be great for our personal finances... ;-)

No comments:
Post a Comment