Monday, October 15, 2007

When your blog ... (Play)

... no longer shows up in your history ... you need to post. In an attempt to NOT have just one really long "month+ recap" post, I am going to do individual posts for various topics and whats been going on in my life. That way, no post seems too big to do and I will actually post them. Pictures to follow.

Play

Wii. Yep, we got a Wii.

Em and I had been discussing/planning on getting one for some time now and a while back on the weekend of my cousin's wedding we noted that if we had one then, we could have had a great time playing it with some of our in-town family. Well, that finally pushed us over the edge and after a few calls I was able to determine that Best Buy "should" be getting a shipment of them the following day (Sunday).

The next morning I was at our local Best Buy about 15 minutes prior to it opening and saw a small line had already formed outside. I debated if I wanted to actually be that guy and if I really thought they were all waiting for Wiis. Well they were and I was. Luckily the store was getting a shipment of ~15 and I was around the 10 person there intending to pick one up. 30 minutes of waiting later, I was the proud owner of a brand new Nintendo Wii and Wii Play pack (console comes with one controller but I knew we needed two. A "Wii-mote" costs ~$40 but for $50 you can get a controller plus several small games).

So far, I am really happy we made the purchase. I will admit that the day after we got it I was sore in a few places but it is a blast to play. The games that came with the console (Wii Sports: golf, baseball, tennis, bowling, and boxing) are very simple but easy to pickup and fun to play with other people. The small mini-games that came with Wii Play are decent and well worth the 10 bucks extra.

It really is amazing how sensitive the controllers can be. Just the fact that I can hold the controller like a baseball bat and have it pickup the exact orientation I have it at and time my swing is crazy. Its not 100% perfect, but I don't care. I can't wait until they come out with some more sports games that have had a decent amount of testing time put into them. I have borrowed the Harry Potter game and Zelda from Josh (thanks again) but have really busy the past week or so and haven't gotten very far into them but they are pretty cool.

Other than playing Wii, Em and I went hiking a few weekends ago at a local state park along the Maremec river which was pretty cool. The views from on top of the bluffs were great. Next weekend we are planning on setting aside some serious biking/hiking/Frisbee/pumpkin carving time which should be fun.

Just yesterday we were throwing the Frisbee around at a picnic for ....

No comments: