Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Little Things and Questions

Nothing too interesting lately.

"Rented" V for Vendetta from the library the other night. I thought the movie was just ok. It had what I can only describe as about 3 different decent movie plots in a single movie without a whole lot of closure. I guess I just never really felt convinced in any of the character's emotions; I never found myself really rooting for or against them. Not bad, just not great. I would have to put Jarhead into that same category. Another library rental, gotta love free. It was ok, but didn't give a whole lot beyond the "here is an alternate view of what war is really like" like other movies have done. Better emotional acting though.

Last week Emily took the Sonata in to a body shop to be looked at. At some point a month or two ago, someone decided that our car wasn't quite complete and that a small scratch on a lower door panel was just the ticket to finish it off. Well, according to the first place we took it, that little scratch requires $100 in stuff and $400 in labor to fix (take apart door and refinish whole panel?). Which sucks. I need to have it looked at by a few other places before I am ready to fork over that kind of cash to get a 3-4 inch scratch fixed. I DO want it fixed b/c its pretty deep and I would prefer to spend money now than have to replace a door or get a ton of rust replaced later when the paint starts falling off. But $500 bucks!? I was thinking more like 200 and they could just clean up the scratch and fill it in. I don't mind a small color difference or blemish .... I just don't want my dark blue car to have Rust Red racing stripes!

This past weekend Em went down to the lake for a bachelorette party which from all accounts was a great time for everyone involved. I stayed home and had a busy weekend of errands and small projects around the apartment (putting up some of our SnapFish photos, finally finding room for some of the junk in the office, researching safety deposit boxes, a small project that will remain nameless until I have photos and a know it worked ;-) ).

A quick aside about safety deposit boxes. Its something I have wanted to get for quite some time given that we have a large number of documents in our apartment that would be a huge hassle to replace if there was a fire/theft. It turns out they are quite affordable. Our local bank branch, who we have our checking through and who is all of ~300 yards from our apt., has them ranging from about $30-$70 a year with a 3" by 10" by "long" one at about $45. Thats the one I am probably going to go with since it will mean that we won't have to fold any of our documents. Anyone else have any experience with safety deposit boxes or home fire safes? That was the other option I was considering, but this is convienently located, safer from fire and theft than our apartment and allows me to have copies here and the originals there for dual locations in case of an emergency.

...................

This week is shaping up to be a busy one. I have been having a ton of meetings at work while I attempt to get as much knowledge from the other developer before he leaves as well as several meetings with our users about all of the things they want to change with the app before we start '08 programs.

...................

I want to post a ton of house hunting resources I have found and my thoughts/questions on the whole process but this post is already pretty long, and I don't have any of it really put together, so everyone will have to wait for that. Actually, would anyone really be interested in reading about that kind of stuff, or am I just thinking its interesting b/c its interesting to me? I don't know exactly how many people read this, I can get close estimates from StatCounter and feed burner but not fully and most of you probably read it out of curiosity but not really interest. I guess, if you have a minute and don't mind .... if your a reader and might be interested on my thoughts on Em's and my house hunting adventures and/or personal finance stuff I have been reading and thinking about. Leave a comment. Please.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey man, i actually wouldnt mind reading about that cause (even though im not married obviously) its something im constantly debating, finance and what not.

Unknown said...

I'd be interested. At some point, I'd like to go buy a house, even if it's just me living in it.

Kevin Berridge said...

Totally interested

Unknown said...

Matt and I are in the process of possibly buying a house, so post away!!!

Alex said...

It'd be good stuff to know in the coming years. It might be nice to summarize that "consumer" section of my google reader that always has a buttload of items in it.