House Hunt Part 2 - What I have Done, What I want to Do
Thanks for the comment Kooz. It perfectly transitions me into my next post: What I have done so far, and what I want to do in the near future...
Things I have done so far...
First, after a gracious offer form a relative, we got a copy of our FULL credit report and scores. Last year when we were shopping for a new car we did the AnnualCreditReport.com thing and received our report and scores. This "soft" pull was not very detailed but helped us ensure that there weren't any glaring problems on our report and an idea of where we stood. The good old Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003 allows all Americans the ability to request this information once every 12 months for free. This is extremely helpful when researching any large purchase or credit application.The report we received recently was a full "hard" pull. From what I can gather, "soft" pulls will not effect your credit score in any way and only pull the basic information. The "hard" pulls can effect your score if there are too many in a certain period of time (depends on each credit bureau's formulas). It is truly amazing how much information they have about you. Every piece of credit you have ever had, what your monthly payment are and have been, how many inquires have been made on your credit in the last few months, your exact balances, any late payments you have made or other interesting notes...... it goes on and on.
Luckily for us, and because of our anal paying of bills on time and not over extending ourselves, our credit report was squeaky clean. The only negative remarks on it (its nice, each bureau gives there scores as well as some reasons why they have been lowered from perfect) related to the length of our established credit history, the number of accounts it showed us as having with balances and the number of inquires we had recently.
None of these were really bad, but they were the only things cited as having lowered our scores. The credit history thing, we can't do anything about except let time pass. We don't really have that many balances, but Em's student loans are broken out into various accounts and our names are on some old accounts with our family (which is good b/c it greatly increased our credit history since they dated back a number of years). Finally, since we had moved and every utility and service runs a quick credit check to make sure you will pay your bills .... ours was slightly lower b/c of that (electric, apt. complex, home phone service ....)
As I said, overall they were great (the average credit score being around 770). Its good to know that everything is correct, up to date and looking good for when we apply for a loan.
The other thing I have done is to finally start tracking and looking at our spending and finances. Quicken to the rescue! After ~2 years of threatening to do it, I finally sunk my teeth into it just before the beginning of August and I have to say, I am loving it. Each weekend I spend about 20 minutes entering in transaction from the past week, making sure all of our accounts are up to date, etc. It gives me a good feeling having a much better idea of where our money is, where it is coming from, how fast its leaving and what kind of return we are getting on our investments. I will probably post more on this subject and related ones when I start my personal finance posts, but for now ... Quicken is a good thing. Its going to give us much better concrete numbers as to how much our expenses are and what percentage of that is needs/wants.
Next steps...
- Start putting together all of the information I have read and can find out about the various mortgage options out there, what the trade-offs of each are (pay more now or later, more tax deductions or not, less money down or higher payments....). I would like to have a good idea of this before I start talking to lenders so that for each one I can circle the ones they offer, and after plugging in there rates, be able to see the short term and long term impact of each.
- Research what programs are available in our area to help first time home buyers
- Keep looking around at homes in various areas to get a good sense of what $$ will buy you what in what part of town, what our theoretical price range can get us, and what kinds of features can alter the price of a home.
- Look into what lenders are our best bets when it comes to mortgages and try to better understand the buyer/seller/Realtor(s) relationships and services

3 comments:
Hey hey...so we're somewhat in the middle of the actual getting-a-mortgage deal right now...we actually didn't get personally get our credit scores until we went into the meetings, but having bought a car earlier this summer and gotten a loan, we knew our credit scores couldn't have changed much in a couple months (ours average around 765-770 as well! Yay for paying bills on time!) We qualified for a 100% loan for the price of the house, which is super exciting. But now, yeah, we're trying to figure out what type of loan really fits us best. Since we weren't actually planning on buying for another few months, we don't have the savings we'd hoped. We've spent the last year paying down/off loans, so tucking money away hasn't been very possible. Matt's been running the numbers, so you'd have to check with him on what he's figured out exactly. I don't know, what he determined to be best for us, to be honest.
As far as first-time home buyer programs, I want to know more about the FHA loans. They seem to have the best rates, but some of the qualifying factors don't include us. Poor credit scores, low income, etc. I want the best rate possible, but I also don't want to take a loan that reflects poorly on us. Any info you've found on this would be very helpful!!!
Also, good call on the Quicken. We own it, but I've never used it that much. Probably time to reinstall it and start tracking everything again!!
Also, thanks for the reminder a couple days ago about safety deposit boxes. We've been meaning to do that all summer, so when we went to the banks yesterday for the mortgage whatnots, we finally opened a deposit box as well. Whew! About time! I definitely feel better about all that not being in the house anymore.
a couple comments--
not sure if there's a down-side to FHA loans... they look great on paper: low required down payment, low interest rate... but where's the down-side? maybe it looks less-than-perfect on credit reports, like "oh you need to resort to this to get a home loan...."
there are -tons- of options available... i'm partial to this wells-fargo page, https://www.wellsfargo.com/mortgage/buy/loans/descriptions/nocash
the county auditor page is even cooler once you look at the past 8 years of property taxes, just to see the recent change in the area
Post a Comment