Monday, August 20, 2007

Wow its been a long time

Instead of talking about how long its been since my last post, here is what has been going on...

  • Emily and I officially moved back to the 'Louie.
  • I finished work in Cincinnati on a Friday, started work in STL on Monday.
  • Its been a pretty big adjustment being back "home", being close to family, being far away from Ohio, being far away from my home for the last 4+2 years.
  • I started working out on a semi-regular basis (averaging 3-4 times a week) at our Apartment complex fitness room.
  • We found out that there are a fair number of stupid people living in our apartment complex, but we still like it.
  • I am still trying to figure out the best route to and from work .... getting used to STL drivers again .... not enjoying the shutting down of I40 for the next million years.
  • I have had a few meetings now with the STL office my company. All in all, many things are different, many are the same, all good people ... I am happy with the transfer.
  • I found out that the main (and only other one besides myself) developer on my application at my new client is leaving in 2 weeks; leaving me the sole developer going forward into '08.
  • Emily and I spent a weekend in Chicago for our anniversairy. We had a blast hanging out with Katherine, doing all the touristy stuff and just walking around downtown.
  • My cousin had twins (a b and a g) the other night!
  • I have been reading the Dark Tower comics I posted about earlier (including the latest, thanks Bill) and they were amazing. I can't wait for the next arc? to come out. Oh and according to the great inter-web, Stephen King sold the rights to do a DT movie to the producers who did Lost. Who knows when anything will come of it, but its a cool idea.
  • Em and I went out on our first house hunting trip the other weekend (not so much house hunting and information gathering ... what kind of $$ gets you what kind of house in different areas, what areas have houses we like, what is important to each of us in our first house .....) Everything went well, only problem now is that we still have almost a year to wait. ;)
  • I had a three day class on Test Driven Development with a great teacher for my client. Really great class. Really interesting topic. I would like to post more of my thoughts about it at some point.
  • I have finally gotten into a routine with our finances and feel like I have a better handle on where or money is coming and going. Its only taken me 2+ years, but Quicken is finally getting used. I am happy to report that our net-worth is going up :)
Oh, and about a thousand other things. I have a busy couple weeks at work coming up so we shall see with what frequency I will post but I am glad to have gotten that one out of the way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In regards to the DT i think the best part of that story is King sold the rights to Lindhorf and Abrams for $19 dollars.... :-)

As for TDD. It's deffinatley interesting. We have been trying (and failing) at it here at Progressive for 2 years now. I started doing it at home though and it's really nice, at any given point I can run my test suite and be 90% confident all my stuff works.