What are YOU doing with your stimulus check?
I still haven't decided. And since I haven't gotten mine yet, I am not committing the money to anything until its been cashed. But its still a good question. What are you going to do with a free $600 - $1200+ check?
From what I have read, the checks are not to be taxed income and will not effect next year's tax returns (if anyone can cite something that says otherwise, please let me know). That being said, assuming the money is free as in beer and freedom ... then I still don't know what I am going to do with it. From what I understand Em and I will be getting $1200 (married filing jointly) but we shall see.
My initial thought was to use it to buy some of the stuff we were going to buy anyway for the house ... but in the end that just means I stuck it into our saving account which doesn't seem very fun ;-)
Today when I had a few free minutes I came up with the following list, aprox. in increasing order of "fun" (which happens to be the inverse of the "responsible" things to do):
- Add to emergency fund
- Mortgage - hurray for saving interest and money for whenever we sell the house
- Em's last school loan
- Car loan - thats 4 months of of payments!
- Retirement - I took a small hit switching companies before all my money was vested, the new pay was worth it but most of that is going toward house improvements at the moment
- Upgrading some of the purchases we are going to make for the house irregardless (e.g. buying really nice washer/dryer or refrigerator instead of just nice)
- Extra misc house stuff we would like but aren't planning on buying
- Vacation fund - Em and I want to go on a big trip next year .... maybe
- LCD TV for downstairs (e.g. something like THIS)
However, after making that list, I turned the piece of paper over and wrote down everything we want/need to buy in the next couple months related to moving into the house. Some of that list included.
- Bedroom furniture
- Living room furniture
- Yard stuff (rakes, shovels, mower, hoses, trimmer, patio furniture, etc)
- New exterior door
- Mattress, linens and towels for guest bedroom
- kitchen island thingy
- bookshelves for the office
- refrigerator
- washer/dryer
- window treatments
- paint
- cleaning supplies
- Ethernet cable and wall adapters (I want to run it throughout the house)
So ... what are YOU doing with your rebate?

4 comments:
How about I just buy a new bed for myself, and then ship my old bed over to your new house? That way I can claim a bedroom without actually being there:P Who doesn't want a twin size bed with a Richard Petty race car sticker in their home?
you ship it, then maybe
actually, our current bedroom set will be used downthere (we have a queen but the headboard and footboard are really for a full) so we just need the matresses
if you actually come sometime this summer/fall I will put up a picture of you to mark your territory
Our plans are oh so exciting. We shall be putting both 600 dollar checks towards the wedding. 1200 bucks less on the reception bill will be nice though.
after several trips to home depot and lowes over the past few weeks and more thinking about the many "minor" thing we will want to buy .... my guess is thats where ours is going.
which is good and bad
Post a Comment