Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Synergized

I finally got a "new" laptop from Sogeti last friday. I say finally b/c all Sogeti employees get a laptop and everyone else at my client had received theirs. Since I am moving to STL and they are slowly ordering all new laptops for all of the ex-Sark employees .... I suggested they give me one of the old ones so that I would get it sooner rather than wait for a newer one. The newer ones which I should get after the move are really nice Dells with 4GB ram, Core 2 Duo processors, decent screens and finger print recognizers. Mine is an older IBM Thinkpad with 2GB ram and a 1.8GHz Pentium M. Definitely workable but not as nice. It is a fair bit smaller and thinner though, which is good.

Upon bringing it into work and plugging it in, I downloaded Synergy first thing. I used it back in college (I am pretty sure one of the roomates, prob nuh8, turned me onto it) and it just works great. Basically, it allows you to use a single keyboard and mouse with two machines that each have their own monitors without a hardware KVM. The result is a seemless connection of desktops so that I can go from one to the other without stopping. Pretty darn impressive. While the interface is still a bit clunky, its better than it used to be.

----------
Last night we went to JungleJims for the last time for a while. Picked up some random things as always and got my dad some good salami and sausages (at least they sounded/smelled/and looked good ... i have been good and haven't opened them yet).
----------
Thanks for the comments Josh and Chaz ..... we will miss you all to .... the drivers less so ... but definetly the lack of smoking in public places. To Chaz ..... you can't find a new one .... you only get one in a lifetime and I am it! And don't you forget it! And if/when anyone wants to make the trip over to the Show-Me state let us know. You all are always welcome.

On a related note, I will be sending out an email to everyone I can think of and have email addresses for today or tomorrow with our new address and contact info. Let me know if you don't get something.
----------
Yesterday, we attempted to play a trick of a coworker but were thwarted by Wikipedia and their speedy-delete system. The coworker in question spends in large percentage of his spare time reading Wikipedia and most of the time knows way more about random subjects than the average person. He also has an uncommon name which we often butcher and therefore jokingly call him Chevy for short.

We wanted to create a disambiguation for Chevy that featured a link to a new article which would describe his first name as having come from the Latin root meaning "one who reads Wikipedia all day" ... and so on. However, while updating the new page and previewing it, evidently we tripped some flag and the article was marked for "speedy-deletion" b/c it was incoherent or a copy or ..... any number of reasons. Before we could add the "we object" flag it was already gone!

As a second attempt we tried just adding the disambiguation with a link the n00b but a real person found that and removed it before we could walk to his desk and have him go to the link. Needless to say, we were both annoyed that our jokes were removed so fast and impressed with how fast work of some dorks was corrected. Pretty impressive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your not having eaten the salami before you even deliver them to me. Perhaps when you get the truck unloaded on the St Louis end we can break into one of those puppies over a beer.