If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball!
Played my first dodgeball game since gradeschool today. Yep dodgeball. And as you may have expected ... it rocked!
Sark/Sogeti is sponsoring a team at our local rec-plex (2 actually). Last Sat. was our first games but with the holiday, I was unable to make it. Let me throw two observations out there to get this post started: 1) its kinda like the movie in that its dodgeball, but the rules and play is way different and 2) playing for 2 hours will make you HELLUVA tired!
The rules are basic rules we all remember (you get hit, your out, you catch a ball before it hits the ground the other guy is out, no going across the center line, etc....) but there is not 2-person swing when you catch a ball. Once you are out you are out for the entire game. That may sound a bit harsh until I tell you that games last only a max of 8 minutes, normally are only a minute or 2, and we play as many games as we can in 50 minutes! Which results in anywhere between low teens to 20+ games in one match. I ended up playing in both matches ... thus I am WAY tired and am gonna not be able to get up tomorrow. ;)
Games were really fast, but really fun. The first team we played was full of younger guys (from late highschool to college ... the league is 16+) and they kicked our butts. The second team was full of a wider range of guys and girls, and we ended up rocking them somewhere around 15 games to 4. Matches are decided by who wins more games, but points are really more important (if you win with 2 people left, you get +2 and they get -2 ... etc etc).
Just a couple more things about the games .... the balls are foam and WAY light which makes them pretty hard to throw well (I got decent by the end but was also tired) .... one of our guys from Sogeti pitched in the minor leagues (his throws were SUPER hard and had some great curves) .... another Sogeti guy didn't have one of his hands. Thats right, one normal arm, one that ended at the wrist. And he was REALLY good. I felt bad losing our final game of the night for us, but I felt WAY WORSE for some people on the other team who got "out" but a guy without and hand catching their ball. He only had one hand!
- Early this week Em and I watched The Incredibles which was really funny and really entertaining. I would definitely recommend it.
- My team at work had our big end of spring demo this past week (finally after numerous dry-runs) and it went really well. Everything got done and looked good. We made a lot of good progress. That would have been enough, but after the demo I found out some info that I wish I had known prior. Each demo is in front of various business people who have a stake in the project (business owner, head of billing, head of accounting, etc). But it turns out that our business owner is actually an Assist. VP (I didn't realize he was that high up), and that two of the other people we my boss' boss, and the CFO of GAIC!!!!!! Yep, the CFO. Good thing the demo went well ;)
- Next week I have several work meetings including one with our head of operation about the possible transfer. Hopefully I will have some news on that front later next week.
- Sunday is the premier for the new Fox show Drive which stars the same lead from Firefly and Sereniti .... haven't seend much other than a breif teaser but I will prob check it out.

2 comments:
I guess the question on everyone's mind right now is, can you actually dodge a wrench? I can help you with this experiment.
Happy Birthday to you...
Happy Birthday to you...
Happy Birthday to Benjamin...
Happy Birthday to you!!!!!!
Love you and missing you on your special day! Beautiful and warm today...once again the plants decided to all wake up for your birthday. Hope you are doing something really fun to celebrate!
luv ya, mom
Post a Comment